Resource Specialists are unique to the Gateway program, and arguably the biggest key to its students’ success.
Working closely with a caseload of roughly 25 students, Resource Specialists act as mentors, teachers, big brothers/sisters, counselors, guides and role models for all their students, from entry into the program to graduation.
- Case management;
- Academic guidance;
- One-on-one mentorship;
- Student advocacy;
- Individual tutoring;
- And ongoing communication with families.
Under the supervision of licensed clinicians, graduate students from The Wright Institute school of psychology offer group and individual counseling to all Gateway students.
Their goals are to:
- Teach students to be critical thinkers and ethical problem solvers, address community and societal needs, and to function effectively as professionals in a diverse society;
- Instill a commitment to service and lifelong learning;
- Provide students with knowledge of cultural and individual diversity and promote attitudes of respect for all;
- And prepare students to be innovative, effective and ethical leaders.
Each year, AVID trains 60,000+ educators at elementary, secondary, and higher education institutions to use proven, research-based strategies and curriculum. These practices prepare students, especially those traditionally underrepresented in higher education, for success in high school, college, and career. The training and methodologies AVID provides help to develop students’ critical thinking, literacy, and math skills across all content areas. And they are applied throughout the entire campus, in what we call Schoolwide AVID.
Policymakers and educators consider AVID’s mission to be an essential strategy for closing the achievement gap, making college access and success available to all students.
- Teaches skills and behaviors important to academic success;
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships;
- Creates a positive peer group for students;
- And develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination.
Gateway to College provides students with in-class in AVID, individual, and group tutoring. These services are available to students at no cost and are tailored to fit their schedule and needs.