Contra Costa College and West Contra Costa Unified School district have joined forces in an innovative partnership that allows our most vulnerable students to earn their high school diplomas and college credit at the same time.
Who We Are
Gateway to College is a network of continuation high schools hosted on community college campuses across the United States. The program is designed for young adults, aged 16-20, who have dropped out of high school or are unlikely to graduate. Through the support of Gateway, students who struggled in high school often succeed.
What We’re About
During their first semester in the program, Gateway students work in small learning communities. Together, they take foundation classes in reading, writing, math and college skills. Upon completion of those courses, students begin taking classes with the general population of the college. Once they have earned their high school diplomas, students graduate from the program.
Throughout their time with Gateway, students receive one-on-one support from resource specialists who act as mentors and advisers.
How We Can Help
Upon acceptance, Gateway students receive on-site support services.
- Intensive orientation and transitional support workshops;
- College success and skill building courses;
- Free group and individual mental health services;
- Free individual and group tutoring;
- One-on-one advising and mentorship;
- And access to many other college campus resources.
Gateway students are identified by their high school counselors as unlikely to graduate with their peers. Reasons might include poor attendance, low GPA, a significant high school credit deficit or other challenges.
A prospective Gateway student must be:
- A WCCUSD student;
- Between the ages of 16 and 20 years old (students must graduate by their 21st birthday);
- Referred by a counselor, or otherwise able to demonstrate need;
- Prepared to fully complete the application process;
- Determined, positive, and open-minded;
- And ready for a new and challenging academic journey.
Instructions for completing the Gateway to College Form may be found by clicking the hyperlink.