Transfer Center Hours

Student & Administration Building (SAB) Room 227

Monday & Tuesday: 10am to 6pm
Wednesday & Thursday: 9am to 3pm
Friday: Closed
Transfer Drop-in Hours
Mondays: 12:30pm to 2pm & 3pm to 4pm*
*Hours subject to change


Veterans who are in need of counseling services, please see Ms. Andrea Phillips iin the TRANSFER CENTER SAB 227 during the following hours:

November Dates
Tues 22 & 29   11am – 1:30pm
Wed 23 & 30    8:30am – 11am
December Dates
Mon 5              3:30pm – 5pm
Tues 6             2pm – 4:30pm
Tues 13           11am – 1:30pm
Wed 14            8:30am – 11am

For more information contact
Transfer Counselor/Coordinator Andrea S. Phillips by email at:

Transfer Services

Transfer Services

in the Transfer-Career Center

  • An extensive transfer resource library that includes current college catalogs from many college and universities throughout the Unites States.
  • Individual advising with representatives from four-year colleges and universities who visit Contra Costa College.
  • Financial Aid and scholarship resources (including a scholarship database).
  • College handbooks.
  • Information on transfer requirements programs and course selection.
  • Articulation agreements.
  • Transfer Admissions Guarantees (an early notification of acceptance).
  • Campus tours to selected northern California four-year colleges and universities.
  • Workshops on completing admissions applications including the personal statement and other transfer programs.
  • Annual College Transfer Day.
  • Monthly calendar of transfer activities.
  • Transfer planning portfolio (planning guide and checklist for successful transfer)
  • Appointments with 4 year college representatives.
  • Computers for online transfer applications and personal statements.

SCHEDULE APPOINTMENTS with representatives from the University of California, California State Universities, private and out-of-state universities who visit Contra Costa College throughout the semester.  Schedule these through the Transfer Career Center, SSC-106 or call 510.215-3934

Top Ten Reasons to Transfer


Priority #1 Admission

Transfer students from California Community Colleges are first priority for admissions at the Junior level for the UC and CSU system

High Success Rates

Students who transferred do just as well or even better academically than those students who attend right out of high school.

Customized Educational Plans

A counselor can help you map out exactly what courses can be counted towards the college or university you plan to transfer to.

Transfer Admission Guarantees

Contra Costa college has many Transfer Admission Guarantee agreements with various colleges and universities.

Location Close to Home and Work

You can get used to the college experience while living in a familiar environment and continue to work at your current job since you are going to school locally.

Diversity and Opportunity

You can learn from the diversity of your college classmates and prepare for the real world.

Excellent Quality Instruction

Faculty members spend more time in the classroom and the small class sizes provide an engaging environment.

Low Cost Per Unit

Enrollment fees at community college average less than half of what is charged at the four-year colleges and universities.  Financial aid is available to help pay for tuition, books, supplies, and other expenses.

Transfer Experts to Help You

The transfer center serves as your resource for accomplishing your transfer goal.

 It Just Makes Sense!

Transfer Admission Agreements & Guarantees


A Transfer Admission Agreement (TAA) or Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) is a written contract between you, Contra Costa College, and a specific participating four-year college or university. This contract states that if you meet the requirements, you will be admitted to that four-year college or university. The TAA or TAG helps you understand:

  1. The courses you must complete before transferring
  2. The minimum GPA you must earn
  3. The number of units required to transfer
  4. The specific requirements for selective majors

A completed TAG or TAA, signed by you, your counselor and a university representative, guarantees your admittance to the university in your chosen major for the term you specify, provided you follow and complete all of the terms of the agreement.

Currently, seven UC campuses offer guaranteed admission to California Community College students who meet specific requirements. By participating in a TAG or TAA program, you become eligible to receive early review of your academic record, early admission notification, and specific guidance on major preparation and general education coursework. For a list of eligibility criteria and special notes for each campus, click here.

What Universities Offer a TAG or TAA?
CSU East Bay, Brandman University and National University. As well as UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz (to begin a UC TAG click here) .

How Do I Apply for Apply for a TAG or TAA?
Schedule a counseling appointment, room SSC-108 or call (510) 235-7800, ext. 4255 to obtain more information.

Transfer Checklist



Use these checklists to help you stay on track and guide you in the transfer process! Each checklist provides a list of items to be completed each semester in order prepare you for succesful transfer to a four-year college/university.

Checklist For Freshmen

Freshman Level I: Students who indicated transfer as an educational goal on the admissions application, and who have less than 15 transferable units.

Freshman Level 2: Students who have completed 16 to 29 transferable units.

Checklist For Sophomore

Sophomore Level 1: Students who have completed 30 or more transferable units. Completed English 142B or have completed the prerequisite for a transferable math class.

Sophomore Level 2: Students who are in their last semester before transfer.

Links to Transfer Information

Useful Transfer Related Links

California Higher Education Web Sites

CPEC (The California Post-Seconday Education Commission)
Assist (Articulation and TransferInformation)
California Community Colleges
AICCU (Association of Independnt/private CA Colleges/Universities
California Virtual University

Cal State University Timeline for FALL 2016 ADMISSION


California State University Web Sites

CSU Mentor Application Status Report
CSU Bakersfield CSU Channel Islands
CSU Chico CSU Dominguez Hills
CSU Fresno CSU Fullerton
CSU Hayward Humboldt State University
CSU Long Beach CSU Los Angeles
California Maritime Academy CSU Monterey Bay
CSU Northridge Cal Poly Pomona
CSU Sacramento CSU San Bernardino
San Diego State University San Francisco StateUniversity
San Jose State University Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
CSU San Marcos Sonoma State University
CSU Stanisluas


University of California Information

PATHWAYS University of California
Berkeley Davis
Irvine Los Angeles
Riverside San Diego
Santa Barbara Santa Cruz


Community College Transfer Course Lists

Articulation & Transfer Course Arrangements


Resource/Directories and Reference Material

Occupational Handbook



College Search Guides


The Ultimate CollegeSearch Guide Online
University Links
College Net
College Express


Standardized Testing Options

ETS NET, EducationalTesting Service Network

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid Tools
Looking for Student Aid
Financial Aid Search through the Web
Scholarship Scams
Financial Aid InformationPage
Financial Aid U.S.Department of Education
Scholarship Search
Breaking the Tuition Barrier
Molis Scholarship Fellowships

Transfer FAQ

Which courses transfer?
Contra Costa College offers many courses that transfer to the UC, CSU, independent/private, and out-of-state colleges and universities. For a complete lists of the courses that transfer to UC or CSU, please refer to Chapter 3 of the CCC College catalog.
What is articulation?
The process of evaluating courses to determine whether coursework completed at one college will meet the requirements for admission, transfer credit, general education, or major preparation at another college.
What is an Articulation Agreement?
An agreement between community and four-year colleges which indicates which courses are acceptable for transfer towards meeting specific degree requirements.
How do I know which courses to take?
Before determining which courses to take, a student needs to consider their academic goals:
Do you plan to earn an Associates Degree and then transfer? 
Do you want to transfer to a CSU?
Do you want to transfer to a UC?
Do you want to attend an independent/private or out-of-state four-year college/university?
Once a student has determined their educational goal, they can then begin planning their coursework. There are counselors in the Transfer/Career Center and Counseling Department that can assist students in completing an educational plan. Students can also refer to the College Catalog, Chapter 3.
How many units do I need to transfer?
To transfer to a CSU as a junior, students must complete a minimum of 56 transferable semester units. To transfer to a UC, students must complete a minimum of 60 transferable semester units. Units required for transfer to an independent/private college in California or an out-of-state institution will vary by college. Students can sometimes transfer to 4-years colleges/universities prior to completing junior status if they meet specific requirements. Please consult with the specific school or the Transfer/Career Center for more information.
What is General Education?
A program of courses in the arts and sciences that provides students with a broad educational experience. Courses typically are introductory in nature and provide studentswith fundamental skills and knowledge in mathematics, English, arts, humanities, and physical, biological, and social sciences. Transfer students often take theses classes while attending a community college. Completion of a general education program is required for baccalaureate degree (BS/BA degree).
Should I use CSU GE or IGETC?
The CSU GE is the preferred general education plan for those students who are transferring to any California State University (i.e., Cal State Hayward, San Francisco State University, etc.). IGETC should be used for students who are undecided about transferring to the CSU or UC and are undecided about their major.
What is the difference between a quarter and a semester?
A quarter is one type of term within an academic year, marking the beginning and end of classes. Each quarter is 10 weeks in length, and there are three required quarters (fall, winter, spring) in the academic year. A semester is another type of term within an academic year. Each semester is 15 to 18 weeks in length, and there are two semesters (fall and spring) in an academic year.
Are there a maximum number of units I can transfer?
Most four-year colleges and universities will accept up to 70 semester units of transfer credits.
What if I take more units than that?
If you take more than 70 units, many colleges will allow you to get “subject credit” for classes that pertain to your general education or major preparation
What is a major?
A major is a program of study that leads to a degree. The subject area in which students pursuing a college degree develops the greatest depth of knowledge.
Do I need to take specific courses as preparation for my major?
Most majors have specific preparation courses. You can access this information via the web site ASSIST or by contacting a counselor in the Counseling Department or Transfer/Career Center.
How do I know if I’m ready to transfer?
You will be ready for transfer once you have completed at least 56 transferable semester units (CSU) or 60 semester units (UC), preferably all of your general education coursework, and the any major preparation classes that are required.
When do I need to apply to the transfer school?
The CSU and UC schools have application deadlines. Generally speaking, students must apply to these schools 9 to 10 months before planning to transfer. However, there are exceptions and independent/private colleges and universities have different policies.
What is the difference between an associate degree and a bachelor degree?
An associates degree (AA or AS) is granted by a community college which recognizes a studentís satisfactory completion of an organized program of at least 60 semester units, including the major and general education requirements. A bachelorís degree is granted by four-year colleges and universities and consists of at minimum of 124 semester units.

Career Planning

This site has been developed to assist students, alumni, and the Contra Costa College community towards achieving their academic and career goals. Whether it is identifying a major or finding out what you can do with your major once you graduate- this website is a good place for you to start. If you have questions about what you discover, contact the counseling office to schedule appointment to meet one on one with a counselor (510) 215-3941


Career Assessment


Interest Inventory:


Holland Code- InterestAre you Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, or Conventional? Take this inventory and find out…You may be surprised with your results.


Personality Profiler:


Jung Personality ProfileIf you ever wondered why you are the way you are… or better yet, why you work better with some people than with others…this may help you discover the answer to both questions. It may also provide ideas on how to work better with those who are different than us.


Academic Planning


  • Bay Area Career Guide Bay Area Career Guide is a free online resource to discover, understand and pursue hundreds of career and technical education (CTE) opportunities at San Francisco Bay Area’s 26 community colleges.
  • ASSIST This site helps you explore majors offered at UC and CSU campuses. It provides several paths you can take to learn about specific majors, requirements for majors, major preparation at community colleges, and transferring courses to the University of California or California State University.
  • Learning Style Survey for College -The Learning Style Survey is designed to help you become a more successful student. It includes a short assessment to help you identify your learning style and a set of recommended learning strategies to help you study in a productive manner.
  • What Can I Do With This Major? Wondering how to connect majors to careers? Click on MAJORS of interest to see outlines of common career areas, employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities. Choose LINKS to find a list of websites that provide additional information. SelectPRINTABLE for a PDF version.
    Understand that the areas and websites are representative of typical career paths associated with each major and NOT a comprehensive list. Explore multiple majors to learn about a wide range of career opportunities.


Career Planning


  • ONET: O*NET OnLine has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, and researchers. Obtain current job descriptions for various industries, labor market trends, educational requirements, salary expectations and More!
  • Myplan: helps students and professionals plan more fulfilling lives by making well-informed decisions about their education and careers. Whether you’re deciding on what college to go to, choosing a major, planning ahead for your first career, or thinking about making a career change, can help you explore options and bring clarity and insight into figuring out what’s right for you.
  • Occupational Outlook Handbook: Developed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), this is the nation’s premier source for career information! The profiles featured here cover hundreds of occupations and describe What They Do, Work Environment, How to Become One, Pay, and more. Each profile also includes BLS employment projections for the 2010–20 decade.
  • California Career Zone: Explore your interests, skills and workplace values. Research “job families” and occupations. Find colleges based on majors and discover how much your education will cost. If you create a free account, you can save your results and also create resumes and more.

UC System extends TRANSFER Application Deadline.
By now, you have probably heard the announcement about the UC System extending its TRANSFER application deadline until January 3, 2017.
However, CONTRA COSTA COLLEGE COUNSELING/TRANSFER SERVICES strongly recommend you submit your application by the priority deadline of November 30, 2016. The UC system will not know until after November 30, 2016 which majors will be closed and this can dramatically effect your admissions to the campus and major or your choice.
In order to have the best chance of being admitted to the UC for Fall 2017, it is imperative you work with your counselor(s) to submit your application by the priority deadline of November 30th.
You have come too far and worked too hard to miss our admissions opportunity!!!
Avoid the RUSH & potential computer system crash by submitting your UC APPS no later than:
For further information about the UC transfer application extension,

Welcome to Transfer & Career Exploration

About Transfer Career Exploration (TCE)

Transferring to a four-year college or university is an important step in your educational career. Contra Costa College Transfer & Career Exploration will help you with transfer preparation to a college or university of your choice through workshops, activities, events, and one-on-one advising.

Understand the Transfer Process:

  • Attend workshops on filling out transfer applications, writing the personal statement, getting into competitive universities, UC Transfer Admission Guarantees (TAGs) and more.
  • Get help with one-on-one transfer advising and assistance.

Connect with University Representatives:

  • Make an appointment with university representatives to learn more about your desired transfer institutions.
  • Attend Contra Costa Fall Transfer Day

Celebrate Transfer Success:

  • Attend the annual Transfer Achievement Celebration held in late spring specifically for transferring students.
  • Be featured on the Transfer Hall of Fame wall

Hours and Location

Transfer and Career Exploration is now merged with the Counseling Department. For further information about transfer of career or to make an appointment with a counselor, contact the Counseling Department at 510.215.3934 or 510.215.3936 or click on this link to make an online appointment. The Counseling Department is located in SSC-108 in the Student Services Center.

Five Steps to Success for Transfer

Step 1: Determine which college or university you are transferring to

  • CSU
  • UC
  • Private
  • Out of state

Step 2: Determine your Major: Use the college catalogs, EUREKA program, and other college reference materials to assist you.

Step 3: Complete an Educational Plan with your counselor.

Step 4:The minimum number of units you’ll need to transfer are as follows:

  • CSU: 60 transferable units
  • UC: 60 transferable units
  • Private: varies by college
  • Out-of-state: varies by college

Step 5: There are several general education curricula that you can complete to satisfy the college requirements. Come to the Transfer/Career Center or see a counselor for options.

  • CSU general education (For CSU transfer only)
  • IGETC (for  CSU and UC transfer)
  • L&S pre-requisites (for UC only)

Transfer Center Events Calendar

february, 2017

No Events