Out-of-State Schools

There are thousands of colleges and universities all over the US. Schools outside of California tend to cost more, either because they’re private or because you’re likely to pay out-of-state tuition. Their costs vary greatly, as do their focus and quality.

But, whatever you’re looking for, you can probably find: urban, rural, single-sex, religious, military, Hispanic serving, Asian Pacific Islander serving… you name it!

Admission requirements can also vary quite a bit.

Typically, a good place to start would be the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) path. IGETC is not an admissions requirement; it is just a very helpful guideline for completing your general education requirements. It will point you to courses that satisfy the freshman- and sophomore-level general education requirements at some schools.

You should also visit the school’s website to figure out what you should be taking to prepare for your intended major.

But, be sure to work with a counselor throughout the process. Admission requirements will vary quite a bit from school to school.

If you’re interested in attending a school in the western US, you should also look into the Western Undergraduate Exchange. It provides reduced tuition for out-of-state students at participating colleges and universities.