Translate

Graduation, New Direction in VP Search

Good Evening Colleagues,

Here we are at the end of my first full semester at CCC, and I still can’t believe what a great job you’ve all done, given the challenges we have faced together. It’s been one for the books. Thank you for supporting our students, and each other, through such extraordinary circumstances.

GRADUATION

While we still hope to eventually see our 2020 grads celebrate in person, virtual graduation is going to be great. About 400 students have submitted materials, which is in line with previous in-person participation numbers. Commencement will kick off at 6:00 p.m. Friday night at www.contracosta.edu/graduation. We’re also hosting a pre-commencement celebration on Instagram Live. Nearly 100 people submitted videos, photos and words of encouragement for the half-hour pre-show that will take place on the @lifeatccc Instagram at 5:30 p.m. Friday evening. This event might not be what we expected, but it’s still going to be very special. Because that’s what our graduates deserve.

VP SEARCH

After carefully examining the needs of the institution and changing demands of the current environment, I decided to fail the current VP search.  Based on the feedback from the both interviews and forums, I have determined that a Vice President of Instruction (VPI) would better serve our campus than a Vice President tasked with covering both instruction and student services. 

This is not a decision that I make lightly, but I truly believe it is for the best. When we began this search, we had a senior dean of instruction, and we were not a fully remote institution facing an uncertain future in terms of class delivery. The demands on this front are far greater than we previously expected.

A few members of current committee will work with me to identify an acting Vice President to serve for the next six months. While the appointee holds that position, the search for a VPI will be underway. By mid- to late-summer, we expect to have drafted and posted a listing for the new position. Our goal is to have this VPI in place by mid-fall, or January at the latest.

Thank you all and please do not hesitate to contact me with questions, concerns, and/or observations.

-dab