Promise Scholars’ First Year Experience
Make the most of your first year of college! As a Promise Scholar, you’ll get your very own dedicated support team and activities to help you start and stay on track to achieve your dreams of transferring to a four-year college or university.
- Educational Coach – Get the support you need every step of your way toward success—guidance, tutoring and much more.
- Peer Mentor – Will help you navigate your experience in your new college environment.
- Academic Counselor – Will help you create an educational plan so that you know the right classes to take.
- Learning Communities – Find your home amongst students and faculty who share similar interests.
- Summer Math and English Jams (Recommended) – Get ready for your fall classes with pre-semester academic support.
- Promise Scholars Student Club – Make new friends, explore your interests and develop new skills. Summer Institute One week program to help you transition to college.
First Year Experience Courses
|First Semester||Second Semester||Summer|
|Counseling 120 – Managing College Success + Life Transitions (Required/3 units)
|Counseling 130 – Career + Major Exploration (Required/1.5 units)
Counseling 103B – Ensuring Transfer Success (Recommended/1.5 units)
|Counseling 140 – Job Search Strategies (Required 1.5 units)
Promise Scholar Application, Eligibility + Participation Requirements
- Earn a high school diploma or equivalent from a West County High School or be a Richmond Promise Scholarship Recipient.
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act application (CADA).
- Complete an educational plan.
- Submit a Promise Scholar application by August 27, 2018.
- Attend an information session.
- Attend Summer Institute program (1 week duration, M-F, August 2018).
- Take a full-time course load (12+ units) each semester.
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA.
- Complete English and math courses.
- Complete all mandatory program activities.