Contra Costa College – Vice President of Student Services Search
I am pleased to announce that Contra Costa College is actively recruiting for a Vice President of Student Services. The Vice President of Student Services is a new position for our college and offers that rare opportunity to create, innovate, and contribute to the exciting next phase of success as the college enters its 70th year. I invite you to fully explore this active website and the official job description to learn more about the position, and our vibrant campus and surrounding community.
Thank you for your interest in Contra Costa College,
Dr. Katrina VanderWoude
Under general administrative direction of a college president, the Vice President serves as a campus Assistant Chief Executive Officer, overseeing academic, student affairs and/or support services programs for the college. Manages and evaluates the work of direct reports such as Senior Deans and other managers. May serve as the acting college CEO in the absence of the College President.
Contra Costa College is a dynamic, comprehensive community college with a diverse student population. The institution has served the communities of West Contra Costa County for more than 69 years. Most of the 10,500-plus students who attend the college come from local communities, but many also come from neighboring communities and from countries throughout the world. The college offers certificates and degree programs in 70 areas. It prepares students for immediate employment and for transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Faculty and staff are proud to be affiliated with an institution that has a tradition of excellence and a reputation for educating students to live and work in a diverse global environment.
Duties/essential functions may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Serves as an Assistant Chief Executive Officer for a college in the District, overseeing academic, student affairs and/or support services programs.
- Provides vision and leadership for a diverse, dynamic and innovative community of managers, faculty, staff and students.
- Provides overall educational leadership in the area of academic, student affairs and/or support services programs, ensuring that the instructional, student, and/or support services programs reflect the educational philosophy and institutional goals of the College and the District.
- Ensures that accreditation standards are met.
- Interprets and analyzes pertinent educational laws, legislation, policies, regulations and procedures to determine impact on the College and to formulate compliance and reporting strategies.
- Develops, recommends and carries out comprehensive policies and programs for managing the College’s educational activities and services in accordance with College and District missions and goals.
- Ascertains and meets College and community educational needs by communicating effectively with managers, supervisors, faculty and staff and the service area community.
- Actively participates in and supports College shared governance components and activities and other collaborative processes.
- May oversee and/or assist in the development and maintenance of the assigned college’s educational strategic plan.
- Develops and participates in College and District planning processes to assure articulation between educational planning goals and objectives and those of other College and District organizational units.
- Participates in the hiring process of college managers, supervisors, faculty and classified staff.
- Supports a climate that promotes innovation and improved service to students and the community; cooperates with area staff, faculty and other managers to develop processes that are student friendly and supportive of student success.
- Manages and participates in the continued evaluation and improvement of assigned college-wide educational programs and services.
- Promotes the assessment of student outcomes in order to determine the effectiveness of student learning and student development programs in assigned areas.
- Oversees research and submission of grant applications and proposals to federal, state, foundation and other funding agencies, to augment college resources for educational programs and services.
- Allocates or assists in allocation of financial resources to accomplish college educational mission and goals in accordance with established budget processes.
- Manages College educational programs and services operating budgets.
- Interprets provisions of collective bargaining agreements and contracts as appropriate.
- Manages assigned managers, faculty, classified and supervisory staff.
- Assists in the training of assigned managers, supervisory, faculty and classified staff.
- Evaluates assigned managers, supervisors and classified staff.
- Assists in the evaluation of faculty.
- Represents the college on College and District-wide committees and task forces, as well as to community groups, professional organizations, other colleges and K-12 schools.
- Responds to and seeks resolution of complaints arising from assigned divisions and major program area activities, including participating in the process of collective bargaining contract grievances.
- Employs appropriate techniques and strategies to resolve disputes and to enhance communication and cooperation among the members of the college and District communities.
- Travels throughout the District in carrying out responsibilities and functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Contra Costa College seeks candidates who will:
- Bring a student-first philosophy to the division, the campus, and the community.
- Support a campus climate that encourages a collective responsibility for student access, equity, and success, and supports innovative teaching and learning.
- Facilitate and support student-success strategies that result in equitable outcomes for all students;
honor and value the cultural diversity of the student body, and connect with students and the communities from which they come.
- Work collaboratively across the college and contribute to a unifying identity and vision for the division and college that is inclusive and respectful of all constituents and stakeholders.
- Bring a commitment to student success and equity in all programs and services.
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Academic Affairs to ensure that students have a seamless experience throughout their journey from pre-application through goal completion.
- Contribute to a focused and intentional enrollment strategy that is student-success focused for a comprehensive community college.
- Understand and value strategic planning and the importance of institutional effectiveness and continuous improvement in every aspect of the student services division and the college.
- Subscribe to the college tradition of participatory governance and including all constituency groups in decision-making.