InSite Portal / WebAdvisor Link EVENTS | SITEMAP


How do I get started?

What is counseling and what does it offer?

How do I go about setting up an appointment with a counselor?


What is a prerequisite? What is a co-requisite?


What is academic renewal?


What does it mean to have catalog rights?


What is the difference between academic probation and progress probation?


What is the difference between a Certificate program and an Associates degree?


What are the steps to transfer to a four year university or college?


Am I required to take the placement test?


How do I apply for a scholarship?


How much time should I give my counselor to write letters of recommendation for me? Counselors are willing to write a letter of recommendation on behalf of you, but please allow at least one to two weeks so the letter can be thoughtful and personable.


Can I attend Contra Costa College if I do not have a high school diploma or GED?  Yes


What is the difference between UC, CSU and private colleges?

UC stands for University of California such as UC Berkeley, UC Davis and they are more selective in terms of admissions.  They are research and theory oriented so if you are ultimately interested in graduate school then you probably want to think about transferring to a UC.  CSU stands for California State University such as San Francisco State University, California State University Eastbay, Sacramento State and they tend to be less selective.  If you are interested in a career right after obtaining a Bachelor’s degree without a massive of debt then CSU is the best way to go.  Four year private schools such as Stanford, University of Southern California, University of San Francisco, Saint Mary’s College of California, and Santa Clara University are independent colleges.  The classes are a lot smaller compared to four year public schools and students obtain individual attention, but they are more expensive.


How long does it take to complete a degree or a certificate at Contra Costa College? Completing a certificate or a degree depends on many factors such as your major, English and math placement and if you are a part-time student or a full-time student.  Since every student is unique in their own way, the best way to find out is to meet with a counselor.


What is Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG)? There are seven UC campuses who offer guaranteed admission to California community college students who meet specific requirements.  By participating in a TAG program, you can receive early review of your academic record, early admission notification, and specific guidance on major preparation and general education coursework. 


What is General Education (G.E.)?  If you are interested in obtaining A.A., A.S. or planning to transfer to a university then you are required to complete lower division G.E. courses in addition to completing your lower division major courses.  The purpose of General Education (G.E.) courses is to provide students with a broader understanding of different academic areas. General Education (G.E.) enables students to explore new disciplines and provide an opportunity to develop interests for further career and education decision making.


What is IGETC?

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is the transfer core curriculum which fulfills the lower division general education requirements of both the UC and the CSU. (34 units for the UC, and 37 units for the CSU).


What is elective courses?  There are specific courses that students need take in order to obtain their degrees.  Theses courses are clearly listed in the catalogs.  Courses that do not fulfill a specific slot in a degree program requirements list are elective classes.  Some degree allows a certain amount of elective credit hours so that students have the opportunity to take classes that interest them as long as those classes are college level or degree applicable units.


What is Articulation System Stimulating Interinstitutional Student Transfer ( ASSIST is a computerized student-transfer information system that can be accessed over the World Wide Web.  It displays reports of how course credits earned at one California college or university can be applied when transferred to another.  ASSIST facilitate the transfer of California Community College students to California's public four-year universities by providing an electronic system for academic planning which delivers accurate, timely, and complete information and operates as the official repository of articulation information for the state of California.


Can a counselor assist me with the financial aid appeals?

Yes, it is required that counselors provide specific information regarding your transcript and educational goals on the appeal forms.  If you have a financial aid appeal, please make an appointment with a counselor.



2600 Mission Bell Drive, San Pablo, CA. 94806
phone: 510-235-7800 | Comments | 4CD Confidential Hotline
District Office | Diablo Valley College | Los Medanos College | Brentwood Center | San Ramon
Page was Last Modified on 3/16/2012