InSite Portal / WebAdvisor Link EVENTS | SITEMAP




The Admissions & Records office will determine your residency status according to state law and regulations at the time the application is submitted.


In general,  a student wishing to attend Contra Costa College must be a legal resident of California for one year and one day prior to the start of the term s/he wants to attend in order to pay in-state fees.


If you are younger than 19 years of age, your parents must have had legal residence in California for 12 consecutive months prior to the start of the first day of the semester.


The Admissions & Records Office may require you to complete a residency questionnaire to help determine your status. It will ask where you (or your parents, if you are under age 19) have lived for the past two years and other information consistent or inconsistent with an intention to make California your place of residence.



If you are not a United States citizen but still meet the above residency requirements, you must show documentation from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (except those qualifying under the AB540 Exemption, see AB540 information below) describing your status.



Students who are not residents of California for at least one year and one day prior to the start of the semester or term will be required to pay an out-of-state tuition fee. Generally, students on non-immigrant visas (F, J, B) are considered nonresidents and must pay additonal fees. Please refer to Tuition & Fees for current nonresident rates.


If you are classified a nonresident and your status later changes to that of California resident, you will be required to submit proof of the adjustment in your status. 


There are additional provisions related to special cases; please contact Admissions & Records if you have questions.


          AB540 EXEMPTION

Any student meeting the following requirements is exempt from paying non-resident tuition at Contra Costa College:


1.       The student attended a California high school for three or more years;

2.       The student graduated from a California high school or achieved the equivalent (e.g., passed CHSPE, completed the GED exam, or possess a Certificate of Equivalency); and

3.       The student submitted the AB540 affidavit with Contra Costa College stating s/he has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status or will file as soon as s/he is eligible.


Students who are non-immigrants (F visa, J visa, B visa) are not eligible for AB540 exemption.


Want to have your residency status reclassified? Download the California Residency Reclassification Request. Once complete, submit the form to the Admissions & Records Office.


2600 Mission Bell Drive, San Pablo, CA. 94806
phone: 510-235-7800 | Comments | 4CD Confidential Hotline
District Office | Diablo Valley College | Los Medanos College | Brentwood Center | San Ramon
Page was Last Modified on 3/4/2010