The term “financial aid” refers to any type of financial assistance provided to students to help cover the costs of higher education. This ranges from fee waivers to grants or even work-study. Below you will find general information about the types of financial aid that Contra Costa College offers.

Federal Student Aid Programs

The United States Department of Education is the largest provider of financial assistance for higher education in the country. Below, you will find information on the various programs they offer to students of Contra Costa College.

Grant Programs and BOG Fee Waiver

Federal Pell Grant: This is the single largest source of financial aid. Students who are U.S. Citizens or permanent residents with demonstrated financial need (as defined by the FAFSA), and meet all other eligibility requirements, may qualify to receive grant assistance. The amount of the Pell Grant will vary from student to student depending on the income information reported on the FAFSA.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG): This additional grant is available to students who are eligible for the Pell Grant, demonstrate high financial need, and are enrolled at least half-time. Awarding is based on a first-come first-serve basis depending on availability of funds. Students who complete their FAFSA by the March 2 priority deadline are given priority when awarding SEOG.

Federal Work-Study (FWS): FWS is a program designed to provide part-time jobs for students, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses while also earning valuable work experience. Students who have FWS jobs work on-campus part-time (up to 19 hours per week) in various departments, such as the Early Learning Center, Library, EOPS, Financial Aid, Athletics and Student Life. The best part? Your FWS job will always work around your school schedule! To apply for FWS, simply complete your FAFSA by the March 2 priority deadline and be sure to indicate interest in FWS. Awards are made on a first-come, first-serve basis to students who apply the earliest, complete their financial aid files early, and have demonstrated financial need.

Federal Direct Student Loans: The U.S. Department of Education offers low-interest loans to students to help cover educational expenses. Loans will never replace grant, work-study, or scholarship assistance, so students must utilize all other forms of financial assistance before applying for a loan. Although the interest rate is low on federal student loans, it is important to understand that loans are paid back with interest over time, so you will pay back more than what you received. For more information on federal student loans, including eligibility requirements and terms, log on to

To apply for a student loan at Contra Costa College, you must visit the Office of Financial Assistance in person to be pre-screened for the loan application. Office hours are posted on the home page.

California State Aid Programs

The state of California offers aid programs to California residents,, including undocumented residents, attending California colleges/universities who meet specific eligibility guidelines.

For more information on financial aid programs for undocumented students, click the Dream Act icon to the left.

Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW): The BOGW waives enrollment fees at California Community Colleges for California residents who meet specific requirements. BOGW recipients do not have to be enrolled in any minimum number of units and only have to complete one application to be covered for a full academic year.

To qualify, you must meet one of the following requirements:

  1. Complete the FAFSA or Dream Act Application and demonstrate at least $1104 in unmet financial need.
  2. Be a recipient (or, if dependent, have parents who are the recipients of) Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or General Assistance.
  3. Meet the income requirements by family size. Click here to view the income requirements for the 2015-2016 academic year.

Cal Grant: Offers cash aid assistance to help pay for the costs of tuition, fees, and other expenses. Award amounts will vary based on the type of Cal Grant you receive and the type of institution you are attending. To apply, you must complete the FAFSA or Dream Act Application, plus the GPA Verification Form. For more information on Cal Grants, log on to

Chafee Grant: Offers cash aid assistance to current and former foster youth. In order to qualify, you must have your foster status established by the court. For additional Chafee Grant eligibility requirements and to apply, log on to

For more information on resources for foster youth, click here for a Resource Guide or here for Financial Aid Resources.

Full Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG): The FTSSG provides supplemental grants to community college Cal Grant B recipients who are enrolled full time. The intent of this grant is to support student persistence, retention, and success by providing additional assistance to for students to attend full-time and complete their programs. To qualify students must:

1. Be a Cal Grant B recipient and meet all Cal Grant B eligibility requirements, and

2. Be a full-time student (12 or more units per semester)