The application process can be daunting, but don’t get discouraged! Follow these steps to make the process easy!

1. Apply to Contra Costa College

To qualify for financial aid, you must be a regular student enrolled in an eligible program of study. To apply to Contra Costa College, you must complete and submit an Admissions Application.

2. Complete a financial aid application

U.S. Citizens or eligible non-citizens: complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal and state grant and loan programs.

Contra Costa College FAFSA School Code: 001190

To sign your FAFSA electronically, you (and your parent if you are dependent) must have an FSA ID. Click here for more information on the FSA ID.

Undocumented/nonresidents/DACA students: complete the Dream Act Application to apply for state grant and fee waiver programs.

Contra Costa College Dream School Code: 00119000

For students who only wish to apply for the fee waiver, English and Spanish versions of the Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW) application are available on Financial Assistance home page menu. 

Need help filling out your application?

Visit the Financial Aid Computer Lab, located in the Assessment Center in the Student Services Building. Financial Aid Advisors are available to provide one-on-one assistance through the online application process. Lab hours are posted on the Financial Aid Home Page.

Financial Aid and Undocumented Students

The questions and answers that follow provide information about student financial aid for undocumented students (sometimes referred to as “Dreamers”) as well as guidance for a specific subgroup of undocumented students who have received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). We have grouped the questions and answers into three categories: General Information and Eligibility for Financial Aid.

 A. General Information

  1. Who are undocumented students?

Undocumented students are students who are not U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or “eligible noncitizens.”

Undocumented students are sometimes referred to as “Dreamers.” This term generally refers to undocumented youths who have lived in the United States from a very young age. The term “Dreamers” is derived from the legislation introduced in Congress and known as the “DREAM Act.” You can read more about the proposed “DREAM Act” at

Within the larger group of undocumented students, there is a subgroup of students who have received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.


  1. What is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)?

DACA is the name used of a process announced by the Secretary of Homeland Security on June 15, 2012. Under this process, if you came to the United States as a child and meet several key guidelines, you may contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a component of the Department of Homeland Security, to request consideration of deferred action. “Deferred action” refers to a decision to defer (delay or put off) removal action of an individual. DACA may be granted by USCIS for a period of two years and may be renewed under certain circumstances. Deferred action does not provide an individual with lawful status; however, recipients of deferred action may obtain work authorization.

General information about DACA:

Answers to a series of frequently asked questions related to DACA, filing requirements, evidence, decisions, and renewals:

  1. Who is a DACA student?

A DACA student has received deferred action under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals process. Most DACA students are also granted work authorization; and if a student has work authorization, the student may be eligible to obtain a Social Security number.

Thus, if a DACA student is granted deferred action and employment authorization, the student may be eligible for a Social Security number. For more information about obtaining a Social Security number, visit

 B. Eligibility for Financial Aid

  1. As an undocumented student or DACA student, am I eligible for federal student aid?

No. Undocumented students, including DACA students and Dreamers, are not eligible for federal student aid. However, you may be eligible for state or college financial aid. The State of California uses the information collected on the California Dream Act to determine whether you are eligible for aid, and we encourage you to do so at

  1. As an undocumented student or DACA student, am I eligible for in-state tuition?

It depends. In California, undocumented students, or specifically DACA students, are eligible to receive in-state tuition. We encourage students to apply for the dream act application or submit a Board of Governor’s Fee waiver application to our office.