The role of a counselor at Contra Costa College is to work collaboratively with the students to provide academic, vocational, career and personal counseling to continuing, re-entering and future CCC students. The focus is to foster and encourage students learning through self exploration and awareness.
- Provide information and advice regarding educational programs, degrees and transfer.
- Develop an educational plan based on the students’ educational goals.
- Evaluate students’ transcript for degrees and transferring to 4-year colleges.
- Explain the academic and progress probation policies and procedures.
- Explore variety of issues that may contribute to students academic difficulties.
- Determine the causes of poor educational performance.
- Provide students with necessary tools in order to enhance their critical thinking skills and knowledge to succeed in the world of academia.
- Assist students with studying techniques, and referring students to tutorial center.
- Educate students about various academic resources and referrals on-campus.
- Discuss procrastination and time-management.
- Write letters of recommendation for scholarships and employment.
- Assist with financial aid appeals and Cal Grants forms.
- Provide educational information regarding specific vocational programs.
- Provide tools and resources that will help students identify their skills and determine a major and a career.
- Administer career inventories and discuss the results with the student in order to identify their skills, qualities, abilities, talents, needs, and values.
- Discuss the importance of networking and informational interviews.
- Assist with selecting an occupation that fits students’ unique life-style
- College Central Career Page
- Allow students to openly express any feelings, thoughts, reactions, and attitudes that are present.
- Assist in the process for students’ to develop competence, manage emotions, move through autonomy toward interdependence, develop mature interpersonal relationships, establish identity, develop purpose, and integrity.
- Encourage students to replace irrational beliefs with something more realistic, and reasonable so they do not sabotage the core self.
- Enhance students’ self-esteem, and empower them in a healthy way to take ownership of their life style.
- Empower each student to become more responsible for their academic outcome, and be aware of how the role each student engage will impact his or her future.