The Contra Costa College Music Department is a comprehensive academic program featuring both traditional and technical training. The Music Department is dedicated to student learning through performance, cognitive understanding and skill acquisition. Music courses fulfill AA/AS degree, transfer, and certificate requirements.
Some possible careers:
Performer, songwriter, music therapist, choral director, arranger, accompanist, cue selector, composer, prompter, orchestrator, singer, conductor, copyist, music historian, teacher.
Program Student Learning Outcome statement:
Students who complete the program will:
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to read music by playing the written notation on their major instrument.
- Be able to demonstrate a basic familiarity with music theory.
- Possess the ability to express personal responses to aural listening, verbally, intellectually, and intuitively.
- Possess the ability to make valid assessments of quality of expression in music.
- Possess the ability to understand and evaluate contemporary thinking about music.