What We Believe
Contra Costa College is a public community college serving the diverse communities of West Contra Costa County and all others seeking a quality education, since 1949. The College equitably commits its resources using inclusive and integrated decision-making processes to foster a transformational educational experience and responsive student services that ensure institutional excellence and effective student learning.
Additionally, the College adheres to the following goals, vision, beliefs, and values statements:
To fulfill its mission and to be consistent with its beliefs and values, Contra Costa College is committed to the following goals:
- Improve student learning leading to: the successful achievement of educational goals through the completion of certificate, degree or transfer programs; mastery of basic skills; and the acquisition of knowledge and proficiencies pertinent to lifelong learning, effective citizenship, and career development in the changing regional and global economies.
- Increase public awareness and understanding of educational opportunities and benefits of Contra Costa College.
- Increase total revenues and contributions to support College operations.
- Enhance measures of institutional effectiveness.
- Ensure that professional development is focused on student success.
Contra Costa College is a leader in community college education and is the higher education institution of choice for West County area residents, and all others seeking a quality education. Contra Costa College is an inspiring haven of academic excellence recognized by students, faculty, and staff for its passion for teaching and learning. The College community encourages spirited interaction, as motivated students interact with dedicated faculty and staff, all of whom seek to empower students by teaching relevant curricula and incorporating state-of-the art tools and resources.
The College values diversity and promotes cultural awareness. Faculty members emphasize the importance of critical thinking, ethics, and interpersonal skills as they prepare students to succeed in the regional and global workplace and become informed and engaged citizens and leaders in the global community.
The College enjoys the collegiality of an institution where each individual is valued and respected, achievements are celebrated, planning is pro-active, and shared governance is a way of life. The College continually supports students as they transition into and out of the College and advocates for sufficient resources to maintain maximum accessibility and educational support for the community. As an integral part of the greater community, CCC serves as a model of excellence, providing education to help our students fulfill their dreams for themselves, their families and their communities.
Contra Costa College believes that all individuals have inherent worth and dignity and are entitled to develop their full potential. Individuals will enjoy an improved quality of life; communities will prosper economically and socially; and families, neighborhoods, and businesses will be strengthened when residents share a commitment to lifelong learning. Further, CCC believes that a healthy and vigorous society benefits from the rich cultural, racial and socioeconomic variations of all people; that a democracy depends upon an informed and involved citizenry; and that the College therefore serves both the individual and society.
Contra Costa College’s commitment to its mission derives strength and guidance from institutional values. As a community of educators, we value:
COMMITMENT to helping students learn and to improving the economic and social vitality of communities through education;
RESPONSIVENESS to the varied and changing learning needs of those we serve;
DIVERSITY of opinions, ideas and peoples;
FREEDOM to pursue and fulfill educational goals in an environment that is safe and respectful for all students, all faculty, all classified staff, and all managers alike; and
INTEGRITY in all facets of our college interactions and operations.
Institutional Student Learning Outcomes
1. Students will demonstrate ability to communicate effectively in writing using standard English.
2. Students will demonstrate competency in oral communication.
3. Students will demonstrate ability to critically evaluate ideas and information.
4. Students will demonstrate familiarity with major concepts in the natural sciences.
5. Students will demonstrate awareness of ethical issues in society.
6. Students will demonstrate awareness of the nature and value of the arts and literature.
7. Students will demonstrate ability to analyze and evaluate past events with reference to their historical context.
8. Students will demonstrate understanding of major concepts in the social sciences.
9. Students will demonstrate ability to analyze and manipulate quantitative information.
10. Students will demonstrate understanding of the elements of health and ability to articulate a health maintenance plan for the lifespan.
11. Students will articulate the importance of safe, regular physical activity for a healthy lifestyle.
12. Students will be able to locate, evaluate, synthesize, and communicate information.
13. Students will demonstrate the understanding of American institutions necessary to be engaged citizens.
14. Students will show awareness of cultural diversity.