What We Believe
Contra Costa College is a public community college serving the diverse communities of West Contra Costa County and all others seeking a quality education, since 1949. The College equitably commits its resources using inclusive and integrated decision-making processes to foster a transformational educational experience and responsive student services that ensure institutional excellence and effective student learning.
Additionally, the College adheres to the following goals, vision, beliefs, and values statements:
To fulfill its mission and to be consistent with its beliefs and values, Contra Costa College is committed to the following goals
1. Equitably Improve Student Access, Learning and Success
Create opportunities for thoughtful reflection that uses quantitative and qualitative data to improve student outcomes.
2. Strengthen Community Relationships and Partnerships
Build pipelines that guide and prepare both K-12 students and the adult population for success in higher education and employment.
3. Promote Innovation, Create a Culture of Continuous Improvement and Enhance Institutional Effectiveness
Provide opportunities to enhance institutional effectiveness and opportunities for employees at all levels to continually gain new skills and knowledge, seek out effective practices, and share ideas with one another in order to continually enhance learning and improve student success.
4. Effectively Optimize Resources to Support Student Learning and Success
Demonstrate sound judgement to effectively optimize the college’s human, physical, financial and organizational resources to better serve its students and community.
Contra Costa College’s commitment to its mission derives strength and guidance from institutional values. As a community of educators, we value:
COMMITMENT to helping students learn and to improving the economic and social vitality of communities through education;
RESPONSIVENESS to the varied and changing learning needs of those we serve;
DIVERSITY of opinions, ideas and peoples;
FREEDOM to pursue and fulfill educational goals in an environment that is safe and respectful for all students, all faculty, all classified staff, and all managers alike; and
INTEGRITY in all facets of our college interactions and operations.
Institutional Student Learning Outcomes
1. Students will demonstrate ability to communicate effectively in writing using standard English.
2. Students will demonstrate competency in oral communication.
3. Students will demonstrate ability to critically evaluate ideas and information.
4. Students will demonstrate familiarity with major concepts in the natural sciences.
5. Students will demonstrate awareness of ethical issues in society.
6. Students will demonstrate awareness of the nature and value of the arts and literature.
7. Students will demonstrate ability to analyze and evaluate past events with reference to their historical context.
8. Students will demonstrate understanding of major concepts in the social sciences.
9. Students will demonstrate ability to analyze and manipulate quantitative information.
10. Students will demonstrate understanding of the elements of health and ability to articulate a health maintenance plan for the lifespan.
11. Students will articulate the importance of safe, regular physical activity for a healthy lifestyle.
12. Students will be able to locate, evaluate, synthesize, and communicate information.
13. Students will demonstrate the understanding of American institutions necessary to be engaged citizens.
14. Students will show awareness of cultural diversity.