The primary goal of Email Reference Service is to provide concise answers to specific factual questions. If you have a question regarding library facilities and services please review our library services page before submitting your question.
Questions may be submitted at any time. The Online Reference Librarian will respond by email within 48 hours to questions received Monday through Thursday. Questions received on Friday will be answered by the following Tuesday.
What we can provide by email:
- Answers to questions requiring short, factual responses, such as a historical fact or date, the source of a quotation, the email address of a government official, etc.
- Appropriate sources for beginning or continuing your research.
- Guidance in selecting appropriate search terms and phrases for your research topic.
- Assistance in accessing library databases.
What we cannot provide by email:
- In-depth research consultations.
- Requests for extensive bibliographies on a topic.
- Questions requiring legal or medical interpretation.